Monday 17 January 2011

An interview with Sule Tomkinson - Sex Work and Feminism explored

I've just been catching up with Sule Tomkinson. Sule represented Trabzon (Turkey) at our international conference, Footstep 11, in Jamaica. She is at the beginning of a very interesting sounding PhD.








12:28
Hi Sule, Morgan here from Global Footsteps.
Can I do a quick interview with you via Facebook for our blog?
sure

Great thanks.
I want, first to ask you how you are, where you are living now and what you are up to?
I am very good, living in Montreal, and doing a PhD in political science in Montreal University.
I am working on trafficked women in two provinces of Canada and the institutions that claim ownership on the bodies of these women.
That sounds like a difficult subject to study, it must effect you emotionally?

Probably it will, but I do not believe there is one single "truth" on human trafficking like the media presents to us, women and children sold for sex, living under slave like conditions...
I do not claim there are not trafficked people living under those conditions, BUT not everyone.
Some women use trafficking as a mobility strategy where legal immigration possibilities are limited or simply non-existant
just to be clear, you are saying that: 'you do not claim that there are NOT trafficked people'?

No definitely not
There definitely are trafficked people
who are forced to live and work under slave like conditions
but we simply do not know how many.
All the statistics and estimates of international institutions do not make sense, they are simply 'created' somehow, and we do not know how reliable they are.
Are you suggesting that some women come into Canada disguised as illegal sex workers to then later be able to seek asylum?

I am not saying disguised as this or that. However, sex industry is the one they can find jobs most easily and there is economic motivation there.
What I am saying is, all these women are not necessarily lured, uneducated and deceived women like we see continuoulsy in the media.
They are not victims, they have agency
OK, I understand, to say that all sex workers are doing it against their will is too simplistic, many are there for the money and are fully aware of what they are doing.
Yes.

And are you trying to gather evidence of this?

That is my ontological position right, I will see what evidence I get. I will also do research on police reports, shelters, rehabilitation centers, simply the institutions that are in contact with these women.
Can you just explain ontological for me?!

Sure, ontology is about social reality, how you perceive it. i.e. Radical feminists believe sex work is inherently exploitative and it is violence against women.
And I do not believe that.
Have you got into many debates with feminists over this?

There are two main approaches in the literature
and I am a feminist as well
there are many women in sex industry who perceive themselves as feminists
And yes, just saturday I went to see a movie by an abolitionist feminist director -abolitionists believe prostitution should be abolished and men who buy sex should be prosecuted- called 'The Biggest Lie".
She made the movie for youth to show the dangers of prostitution.
What did you think of the movie?

It was good, in terms of raising awareness for the young girls and the dangers they can experience, but again the statistics in the movie, ex-sex workers who were interviewed in the movie spoke with just one voice.
Even one social worker claimed 'feminists are against it'
do you my point? You cannot speak for everyone,
Feminism is a very complex subject, there is far more to it that meets the eye. I studied a little bit around eco-feminism a while ago, I would like to re-visit it. Would you say there are many sub categories to feminism?
Yes definitely. And all speak with a different voice.

Well, we'd better wrap up, maybe we can chat again in more detail about feminism another time as I know a lot of Global Footsteps members are interested in this subject.

Sure that will be good
Thanks Sule, I wish you well with your studies, I'm sure you will produce something very worthwhile. Do you have any messages for any friends you met via Global Footsteps?
Thanks a lot! I wish them all the best in whatever they are doing and keep up the good work.

No comments:

Post a Comment